Inaction is a decision

Hello from Chicago O’Hare Airport! Sitting in the airport is giving me lots of time to think. Even though I have about 5 books I could read, I’ve chosen to people-watch and contemplate the meaning of life.

Okay maybe not so much the meaning of life, but I do think about other relevant, important things, like “why does this terminal smell so strongly of ketchup” and “I wonder if that annoying kid is sitting by me on this flight because if he is I will punch something” and, after they announced that my flight is overbooked, “should I take the $400 credit and wait an extra hour to get back to NY?” (I had decided to go for it-$400 can take me somewhere tropical and festive…or to a race I wouldn’t otherwise have signed up for) but someone beat me to the punch.

I’m also remembering that article about gyms in airports. Why is this still not a common occurrence? This article from CNN.com reiterates that obesity is a problem in America. We know that. But, looking at it from Mr. Frum’s point of view, would those people who desperately need the heart-pumping benefits of exercise even elect to use an airport gym? Or would it only benefit current fitness enthusiasts with long layovers?

Speaking of contemplating life, the theme of 2011 for me was career-based. Remember when I told you about my previous job woes and how I’ve been wrestling with a quarter-life crisis?

Well, I’d like to put that unrest to rest and take control. My 2012 horoscope seems promising (see: Leo) and I’m ready to get a move on.

So, readers, I’m soliciting your advice and expertise.

Which of you have careers related to health, wellness, running, fitness or anything in a similar category?

I’ve debated it all…exercise science, nursing, physical therapy, personal training, journalism, being a farm hand (totally serious-for approximately one day I thought it would be fun because I’d never have to sit at a desk…that wore off quickly), nutrition, sports photography…and many more I can’t even remember. I find excuses for why I “can’t” do any of them, so I continue to be stuck in a rut. I’m realizing that inaction is a decision in itself. As someone who loves a good challenge, I feel out of my element without a specific path.

Have you had a career crisis? Totally changed your line of work? Do you work in the fitness industry in some way? Tell me what you do and why you love it! (or hate it).

1. January 3, 2012 / 4:28 pm

Nothing like the airport to get the career choice juices flowing! ; )

I began as a writer and did that for many years in industries I didn’t like. Finally, once my kids got into school and I had more time, I made a concerted effort to start writing about what I love (fitness), thus the blog. I also got certified to coach running b/c the two complement each other. So what I’m saying is–follow your passions. It may mean starting over and maybe not making lots of money at first, but if you love it, the rest will fall into place eventually. Good luck!

• January 4, 2012 / 10:50 am

Ahh yes, the airport. There is no direct flight to my hometown so I spend quite a bit of time there, trying to be productive!

I wanted to ask you about the certified running coach program – I would love to do that but it seems like there aren’t that many opportunities to take the class. I think there is one coming up in NJ in a few months, though. Did you enjoy it?

Thanks so much for the advice!

2. January 3, 2012 / 4:36 pm

Totally had a career crisis at age 25. Decided I was working among morons and that my passion was helping people and fitness but I wanted to help them on a level above personal training –> physical therapy. Took the plunge, went back to school and I’ll be DPT in 3 years. Totally worth it.

• January 4, 2012 / 10:56 am

Abby, that’s so great!! Where are you going to school (if you don’t mind me asking)? PT is the one thing I keep coming back to. I actually enrolled in grad school for exercise science (drove to Georgia, got an apartment, registered for classes)…and then the day of orientation I drove back to NY. I had no idea what I wanted to do with a master’s in exercise science and didn’t feel like it was the right thing to do. So, it was an extremely hard decision but I’m happy I made it.

I’m actually shadowing a PT next week. I need so many prerequisites that I’m debating between starting with a PTA program or going directly to DPT!

3. January 4, 2012 / 12:49 pm

I kind of fell into teaching via music via music education in college. And then ended up teaching a high school P.E. class last year. Right now I’m stuck working temp at an office while I work on getting my CO teaching license transferred. But I also want to get my PT license. So we’ll see what happens!!!

• January 4, 2012 / 5:20 pm

It’s so interesting to hear people’s different career paths. Good luck with the teaching license/PT license! Do you want to teach P.E. again, or are you a hoping to start back with music?

4. January 4, 2012 / 5:02 pm

I know exactly what you mean about those career crisis moments. It’s hard when you start to question if you went to school for the right thing, are doing the right job, etc. I eventually left my last job without having a new one lined up because I knew I couldn’t continue being so miserable. It ended up for the best! I didn’t find my “dream” job, but I did find a great job, in a REALLY awesome company with a great environment. Sometimes you just have to take a little leap. Good luck!

• January 4, 2012 / 5:24 pm

EXACTLY! My last job turned out to be totally different from what I thought it would be; I didn’t enjoy it at all. I commend you for taking that leap and not letting yourself be miserable forever. I know what that’s like – I used to dread going to sleep because I knew I had to wake up and do something I hated (even though I like the organization I worked for, my position really wasn’t for me, and they didn’t have anything else). So glad you found something that you enjoy!