March Workout Challenge – Be Uncomfortable

I’ve decided I need a workout challenge. Who doesn’t love a good challenge?

I wish my challenge could be to run up this extinct volcano everyday. Alas, there are no volcanoes, extinct or otherwise, in the NYC metro area.

I need a little push. I’ve found myself avoiding certain exercises I know to be beneficial for gaining strength (one of my goals) simply because I despise them. However, a beneficial, heart-pumping workout is one that makes you uncomfortable. A hard run is uncomfortable. Weight lifting makes your muscles uncomfortable. Biking up a hill is uncomfortable. See what I’m saying?

I needed a plan to hold myself accountable. Once it’s written down typed out, you can’t back down, right?

So, this is what I came up with:

Please ignore the fact that this starts today instead of on the 1st…

Basically, all of these exercises make me uncomfortable just thinking about them. They are HARD for me. This must mean the muscles used for these movements are weakest, right?  Hence, I added them in addition to my daily workouts as my “March Challenge”.

I organized the month so that I’m adding more each week, hopefully seeing improvement in the number of reps I can complete, or how I feel in certain instances. I even added a little Sunday Funday in there too. Don’t say I never do anything for you, pals.

Ready, set, GO!

Care to join me, or are these your strongest exercises? What moves are your least favorite? In what ways do you challenge yourself? Do you think you push hard enough? Enlighten me!

I’m a writer currently living in Los Angeles and blogging about running, fitness, wellness, and motivation. I want every reader to laugh and feel empowered, balanced, and motivated! Subscribe by email to get 1-2 newsletters a month with post updates, my favorite articles, running playlists and more!

1. March 7, 2012 / 12:28 pm

Love this idea! I want to do some burpees (once my IT Band issue is sorted out) — love your schedule. What are thrust frogs?

• March 7, 2012 / 1:22 pm

Thank you so much! Hope your IT band issue clears up soon, I’ve been there and I know how frustrating it is. I did lots of single leg split squats to strengthen my glutes which helped!

Thrust Frogs: Start in a pushup position. While staying in that position, jump and bring both feet together at your chest. Jump to push feet back out to starting position. Next, jump and bring feet to the outside of your hands, and then back to starting position. Repeat sequence. .

Does that make ANY sense?! I’m horrible at explaining :)

2. March 7, 2012 / 3:38 pm

That’s a good idea, splitting the exercises up over a week instead of doing a whole set all at once. I’ll try that. Thanks!

• March 7, 2012 / 6:51 pm

Welcome! And thanks, glad you like the idea! Let me know how it works out!

3. March 9, 2012 / 9:27 pm

I am totally going to join you. IN a week or so. I think mine will involve yes, pushups, and also those horrible side planks. Regular plank.. I can do ti all day long (well….not really) side planks, I get all wobbly!

• March 11, 2012 / 2:32 pm

I used to hate planks, but the more I’ve been doing them, the better they get! I’m the opposite though – I am way better at side planks than regular…still working on those!

• March 11, 2012 / 9:31 pm

we could have a good planking team. I;m working on a five min bent forearm plank. AND…20 seconds on the side planks. Makes me wonder what my sides are lacking.

• March 11, 2012 / 10:07 pm

Wow I’ve never even come close to a five minute plank, that’s amazing! I guess I need to work harder :)

• March 12, 2012 / 4:27 am

Nope….theres almost no point, but my coach said he would do cartwheels in the gym at 6:30 pm when its busy…if I could SOOOO, I want to so see this!

• March 12, 2012 / 12:09 pm

Haha nice! Great incentive!