Post November 6th

I’m moving on up with my running, friends!

I’ve run on back to back days – Wednesday and Thursday. Plus Monday. I can see myself progressing from this injury…finally!

Here's an action shot for you. PROOF! Perhaps I should focus on running instead of taking pictures. But I needed a blog photo. You understand, right?!

Here is last night’s run:

I'm seeing a pattern...

It’s hard to see that seriously increasing pace with each mile. For a three mile run. I cringe a bit when I put less than stellar numbers and paces out there; (EDITED TO ADD: less than stellar compared to the some of the blogs I read by super speedy girls. I keep comparing myself to others but I need to stop. Running is running, and everyone should be proud no matter what your average pace is! Thanks Katherine for helping me realize this!)  I don’t want people to judge my running based on “statistics”. But I keep reminding myself: I’m a runner because I run.

Source (via Pinterest)

Let’s be honest. I haven’t been able to run seriously since November 6th, 2011. My recent life continues to be separated by “Before November 6th” and “After November 6th”.  Before November 6th consisted of serious marathon training and aiming to get faster; the only thing on my brain being NYC, NYC, NYC. Before November 6th I hadn’t run the NYC Marathon. After November 6th, I became a finisher in my 2nd marathon…my dream marathon!

Eagerness and exhilaration were my main emotions until a planned 20 miler on October 16th, when a twinge on the outside of my left knee forced me to bow out at mile 14. It was my Mom’s birthday so I stopped around mile 12 to call her. I was still feeling okay at that point; a little pain but not horrible. After I started back up again, everything went downhill. Unable to run and barely able to walk, I dragged my screaming knee the rest of the way home.

After that, my emotions switched to trepidation and fear. I was beginning my taper and contemplated whether the rest time and a little strength training (per the advice of some physical therapist friends) would put me back where I needed to be.

As you all know, I ended up running the race (and PR-ing by 40 minutes!). But, that’s not the moral of the story. I should have deferred my entry to 2012, but I couldn’t imagine not being at that starting line. Logical or not, I couldn’t fathom waking up on November 7th without having run New York City.

It was one of the best experiences of my life, but I know it did more harm than good. It would have been even better had I not been fighting the constant IT band and hamstring pain. I’m certain I ran on pure adrenaline from the unbelievable crowds. I’ve been a spectator at the NYC Marathon before – and during my race I remember thinking how thankful I was to be on the “running side” of it this year. Even a couple days prior when I was walking back from the expo with my bag of goodies, I heard so many good luck wishes from strangers; I feel so blessed to be a part of it all.

Now, 4 months and 17 days post November 6th, I’ve finally run two days in a row. 5 miles total. I think I’m okay with it – I’m thankful that I’ve learned so much from this setback.

Now I’m moving forward.

Share the love!

1. misszippy1
    March 23, 2012 / 1:30 pm

This is such a great way to frame it all. You accept responsibility, took your medicine, and now you can move forward. I’m happy for you!

• March 23, 2012 / 2:09 pm

Thank you so much, that really means a lot!!

2. March 23, 2012 / 2:49 pm

Yay! Progress is progress, and you’ll be back at it in no time… in the grand scheme of things, a few months off is relatively short even though it feels forever when you are in the moment. :) P.S. Are those NY Yankee running shorts?! Where did you get them??

• March 23, 2012 / 2:58 pm

It really has been a short time frame…when I wrote that I was thinking, “It’s only been 4 months?!” But you’re right, it feels SO LONG!

And yes, they are Yankee running shorts! I actually got them at TJ Maxx last year…they are Nike. I just Googled them and found them on Amazon!

3. March 23, 2012 / 3:00 pm

OMG you should not even question if you’re a runner — you ran a marathon!

Congrats on the run!! Don’t worry about your times (I’m not even that fast without an injury), just enjoy yourself :-)

This is a little creepy, but I have to share – I got my IT band injury during my 20miler on my Dad’s b-day…weird.

• March 23, 2012 / 3:06 pm

I think my problem is that I read so many blogs written by girls who are super fast, that I always end up comparing myself (and my paces) to them. My paces aren’t necessarily “less than stellar”, they are just not up there with those speedy ladies! I really need to stop doing that! I’m fairly happy with my times I just wish I got faster during the run rather than slower, haha. I need to pace myself.

And wow that’s so crazy about your 20 miler and mine! How random is that?!!

• March 23, 2012 / 3:12 pm

I totally understand about the paces, I do the same! It’s hard not to — it’s a runner’s curse & gift to always want to be better.

haha it’s so random, just had to share when I read yours was on your parent’s bday too! It’s sad because I will always remember my Dad’s bday as the day I hurt myself and caused me to not be able to run the Paris Marathon. Maybe if I run NYCM this year, I’ll be able to bear his bday next year :-)

• March 23, 2012 / 3:17 pm

New rule: No more long runs on parents’ birthdays!! :)

4. March 23, 2012 / 4:11 pm

Good Comback Kara, it takes time. I think you might be fit enough to run NYC again sooon!

• March 23, 2012 / 6:16 pm

Thank you very much! I sure hope so! :)

5. March 23, 2012 / 8:55 pm

You know, your blog definitely has a place in the running world even if your time isn’t super fast. I do the same thing when I read other runners’ blogs, and some of them are very, very, speedy and haven’t even been running all that long. However, I want to be able to run long into my golden years (yeah, a running grandma… hopefully that will be me!).

And you might not have the best paces, but I *loved* this post because it’s a good reminder that anything can happen and we need to be thankful for every run… but also that sometimes we NEED to physically take time off from our bodies (I’m actually trying to cut back right now for some health reasons). Even a slower run is better than not being able to run at all, and so many people can’t run, and others choose not to and never will. When you think like that, what we do is truly amazing…

• March 24, 2012 / 9:35 am

Thank you Amy! I’m glad you liked it, that means a lot! And your comment was very well said (and a good reminder); when you consider the whole spectrum of what people do/don’t do/can’t do, it’s just unbelievable. I feel so lucky to be afforded these opportunities to be active and to be knowledgeable about it, even though sometimes the situation might not be “ideal”. A lot of times when I’m out running I find myself thinking of those who physically can’t run. It makes my heart hurt. I run for them!

Oh and my goal is to be a running grandma too :)