Lifestyle Changes

Brendan said something to me last night that was like music to my ears. Like, your favorite song while driving along the beach with your windows down kind of music.

A) Going to be doing that at THIS beach this weekend! and B) This picture cracks me up every time. So cute.

“Maybe I just need to become a runner.”

HOLD THE PHONE.

Let me back up. Over our gourmet dinner last night, I was lamenting about how hard it is for me to make the change from my old routine to my new, corporate-life routine. I’m having an extremely hard time with it all around. Health-wise, the corporate world is counterproductive. Sitting and typing and staring at the computer wreaks havoc on the human body. I can feel my body getting “older”, almost. My hips are tighter, my knees are more achy, my waistline expanding a bit.

-I can’t necessarily eat what I want, when I want. I’m stuck with the healthiest “work friendly” snacks and am obstructed by our tiny office refrigerator. I can’t go grab a filling snack and enjoy it anytime I want one. I miss the days of not-in-front-of-the-computer omlettes with coffee, small, filling snacks that I could grab at leisure throughout the day, and a timely dinner.

-I’m finding it hard to sit down all day. I’ll introduce you to my “squats and water” Excel spreadsheet soon. But bathroom squats and lunges and walks at lunch and quick jaunts to the water cooler don’t make up for essentially 8 hours of sitting. This is the one thing that made me want to uproot my life by moving to Georgia for grad school to study Exercise Science. I made it there, but what happened next is a whole other post.

-I hate to admit this, but I’m struggling with activity in general right now. I’ve always been an advocate for fitting exercise in; if it’s important to you, you’ll do it! I’ve also always been one of those happy “there’s always time for exercise! 20 minutes! 10 minutes! HIIT and Tabata and Running and Weights!” type of person. Now? I wake up at 6am just to get ready for work, commute for almost 2 hours, work, work, work (no shower at my office so no lunch runs), commute for 2 hours back, try to get a productive workout in, dinner, sleep. I want time with Brendan! I don’t want to leave as soon as I get home. I want a glass of wine in my hand and yoga pants on within 22 seconds of walking in the door.  It’s increasingly easier to say “I’ll run in the morning” or “it’s okay to skip today”. I hate that.

Sounds like a lot of whining to me. I know. Maybe I’m being a spoiled little brat. I have a job that I love and a fairly easy (just long) commute into the city.

I need to focus on getting my WHOLE lifestyle back to where I was…no finish line!

But, as I always say (and everyone else says, RIGHT?!), couples who sweat together, stay together! So I always try to convince B to be active WITH me before and after work, since he already goes to his gym anyway. Unfortunately his cushy gym is at work and he loves it and isn’t willing to give that up. I get it. But that just means I can’t join him.

Remember when we dominated that 5K together?

All I want is to be able to work out WITH him sometimes. Then, I wouldnt have to stress about waking him when I get up early, or not getting to spend enough time together. My favorite solution? Running together, obviously. But I’m down for biking. Or swimming. Or Tae-Bo. See how open I am?

So, back to the beginning of this long-winded story.

I prodded some more.

“Interesting…tell me more about that.”

Just kidding, I freaked and started yelling out of excitement. “What??! Really? Are you joking? I knew I’d crack you!! Want to run tomorrow morning?”

YAY RUNNING!! SUNSHINE! RAINBOWS! JAZZ HANDS!

So much for calm, cool, and collected. I think I scared him already.

With further prodding, he said he would consider starting slow and running with me occasionally. At least, that’s how I heard it. I hope I wasn’t just dreaming. I get that not everyone is all “running = rainbows and puppies and happiness!” like I am, and I don’t expect anyone else to be that way. I just like spending time with the important people in my life. And maximizing my time. You picking up what I’m putting down?

So, that’s a step. I would be one happy girl if B would run with me. I remember two specific days where we ran/walk on a trail together and did squats, lunges, and pushups after every walk portion. I loved that workout!

Do you think couples who sweat together, stay together? Ever convinced anyone to begin running with you? What’s your favorite way to workout with friends?

1. June 21, 2012 / 7:46 pm

I am struggling to be an office all day as well. I am just not used to it, I was such a busy person in college. I feel ya on this one.

• June 21, 2012 / 10:22 pm

I know :( It’s so hard, especially right after college!

2. June 21, 2012 / 8:26 pm

I’m kinda glad I work from home now and not in an office. For one thing, I can make lunch myself instead of packing, and I can just up and take a walk whenever I want to pretty much, and I do. But yeah, a lot of people in offices are really, really sedentary, you are right about that.

My husband and I both workout but rarely together. We used to sometimes go to the gym together and lift though :). Fun times!

• June 21, 2012 / 10:23 pm

As I’ve said…I’m SO jealous of you, haha!! Enjoy it!! Hope all is well in your new town :)

3. June 21, 2012 / 10:25 pm

So exciting!!! My husband and I started running together about a year ago and it’s awesome!! We only run together every couple of weeks but it’s still a lot of fun. I’m excited for you!!

• June 25, 2012 / 8:35 pm

Thank you!! Was he a runner before, or did you convince him to start?

• June 25, 2012 / 9:50 pm

He used to run on a treadmill, but now I’ve convinced him to run outside :)

4. June 22, 2012 / 9:41 am

YAY! Glad to hear that he may run with you sometimes. :) I struggle with sitting in an office every day, it drives me NUTS to sit all day. I just feel myself getting unhealthy.

• June 25, 2012 / 8:35 pm

ME TOO. It’s so hard on me. I feel like my body starts to rebel!

5. June 22, 2012 / 10:44 am

Ahh this post is really applicable to me, because I start my first “real” job on Monday and I am waiting to see how I will be able to fit exercise into my daily life. Thankfully I barely have a commute, so that gives me a lot of extra time each day. I hope your couple running goes well; it is always easier to get motivated when you have someone else counting on you to work out.

• June 25, 2012 / 8:36 pm

Ahh good luck!!! That’s very exciting about the new job! Can’t wait to hear how YOUR lifestyle change goes!

6. June 23, 2012 / 9:45 pm

How exciting! I’m not really a run with others type of person (I always feel like I’m slowing everyone down) but when I do run with friends it is always great!

• June 25, 2012 / 8:39 pm

I’ve been there and know how you feel…but you should try it! People wouldn’t agree to running with you if they didn’t want to. Plus, I think it helps you get better when you run with others. Do you know anyone your same pace? Just a thought!

7. June 26, 2012 / 4:24 pm

thats so cool! my BF hates to run but he’s a cyclist so he got me into that which has been awesome cause he knows so much about it! i think it helps us bond and stay active together so it’s been fun! :)

• July 1, 2012 / 3:59 pm

Does he ever cycle next to you while you run? I know it’s probably not a great workout for him, but I always think that’s fun, haha

8. June 26, 2012 / 10:00 pm

ahhh I’m beyond jealous!!! I tried to get my boyfriend to start running last winter (probably not best timing), but he didn’t really give it enough chance to get to the “loving it” part before he gave up.

When me and my bf first started dating I felt so bad about leaving him early to go exercise. Two years later we live together and although I’ve gotten over it, it’s still hard! I always wake up early to exercise, while he leisurely stays in bed until after 9am (oooh the life of a software engineer) — it would be 10000 times easier to wake up early if he was doing it to…but oh well!

Enjoy your runs together! Hope he catches the bug :-)

• July 1, 2012 / 4:01 pm

Yeah I think the “loving it” takes awhile. A long while. Haha.

9 am!! Must be nice!! :)