Hurricane Sandy

I don’t really know what to talk about right now. All I feel is unbelievable sadness and a little bit of fear. Some luck for being safe. And of course thankfulness for the help from everyone across NY, NJ, CT, and other states who are coming in to help.

My thoughts via Facebook. Because how else do you share your thoughts these days?!

Some great, inspiring, and/or thought provoking posts:

Ali on the Run: The Morning After

Miss Zippy: New York City Marathon – Go or No?

ESPN: NYC Marathon; Show Musn’t Go On

Quote from this article: “Canceling the race isn’t about being unfair to the runners — it’s about being fair to a city and its residents that need every available resource to put itself back together.” Thoughts?

Shore to Run: Jersey Shore. Jersey Strong.

Good things:

Springsteen, Bon Jovi, and Billy Joel to perform in superstorm Sandy concert

No power or water? Head to New York Sports Club

Wiser people than us share their hopeful thoughts on Hurricane Sandy

In case you’re like me and are looking for every way you can help our local communities, I found the following websites:

New Jersey 101.5 – How You Can Help

Red Cross – How You Can Help

NYC Service.org – How You Can Help

Although I have a ton of clothes and canned goods I want to donate, I read online that we’re sadly not able to donate these items to the Red Cross because sadly it takes too much manpower to sort and distribute the various collections of items.

I’m watching the mayor’s press conference right now, and it’s a little unbelievable some of the ridiculous questions people are asking. An enormous number of people are helping as much as they can, and certain people are wondering about things that simply aren’t as important as people lives.

We need to focus on what’s important – we need to come together.

Share the love!

1. misszippy1
    November 1, 2012 / 12:52 pm

Thanks for the shout out! It’s such a tough situation. I won’t fault any runner who decides to go for it, but I do think maybe the RD could have cancelled. I don’t know!

And I”m a Midwestern transplant too–the E. Coast is home now. It breaks my heart to see the NJ shore towns destroyed.

2. November 1, 2012 / 12:52 pm

I was shocked to see the Marathon is going on as planned since taking away firefighters and police offers from the clean up I think is plain wrong. There are people suffering. Still without power and heat that’s more important right now. I don’t know maybe I’m crazy but how are all those runner going to get to the starting line? I’m sure its a tough decision but I think it should be postponed at least.

3. November 1, 2012 / 1:10 pm

I don’t know what to think about the marathon. I guess they should still have it, but maybe postpone it for a few weeks or until the Spring? Not cancel it completely because of those who have trained for it, but I think most runners would understand that this is a pretty good reason to cancel the race.

Also, I think it’s sad that you cannot donate clothes and canned goods to the red cross. To me, I think anything should be accepted, including time because not everyone can give money due to their own financial situation. Giving blood is good too for those who can (I cannot).

4. November 1, 2012 / 1:51 pm

Kara, I was thinking about you and then voila! your blog appeared in my inbox. So glad to hear that you’re okay! I personally disagree with the decision to move forward with the marathon for the reasons everyone else stated above. I think it sends the wrong message about our priorities by not postponing it. I was cranky and miserable after being without power for 43 hours–I can not even imagine the devastation other people are dealing with right now. Prayers to you and your family!

5. November 1, 2012 / 2:12 pm

thank you for all this link up love, it is great to read and inform myself more about what people are doing. I am torn on the marathon issue because I see both sides of it. I am glad you and your family are safe and sound

6. November 2, 2012 / 1:14 am

That’s a tough call!! I wouldn’t know the right answer. Thanks for sharing.