3 Days.

Only three full days separate me and my first 70.3.

Three days until I find out what I’m really made of.

Three. Days. Of. PANIC!!

Just kidding. Sort of. I’m definitely excited, but still more scared. I’ve been trying to visualize each leg of the race every night as I fall asleep and it’s actually pretty calming. Did I ever tell you guys about how my high school track/cross country coach had us visualize at the end of practice on the day before a meet? We went into the wrestling room, laid on the mats, and listened to motivational music – example: Phil Collins’ In The Air Tonight, and I Hope You Dance by I can’t remember who. Ha! He would walk us through the day of the race, riding the bus to the meet, the moments before the race…and then as the music built up, we would visualize the actual race. I ate that all up. Loved it – obviously, since I still do it to this day (cheesy or not)! Hey, we were back-to-back-to-back state champs, so we were doing something right :)

Good ol' days!

Good ol’ days!

What I’m most worried about is how I’ll feel mentally. I’m fairly certain that I’ll be one of the slowest athletes out there (it’s science!! Plus it’s a huge race for the pros) and I know that it’s going to be tough watching people pass me by. I know, I know…stay positive. I’m trying! But I want to plan for potential trying situations. If I’m flying up the hills and passing people left and right, well, great! That’s pretty motivating! But, what about the tough times? This definitely isn’t going to be easy. I just need something to repeat to myself if I am in fact being passed by the masses and feeling terrible. (Anyone have a good mantra for me?)

Maybe I need to start repeating this to myself for now...

Maybe I need to start repeating this to myself for now…

So, the plan is to head to NY (where Brendan’s parents live) on Friday night. Their house is about 45 minutes from the starting line, so it will be easy to get there on Saturday for the expo, athlete meeting, and practice swim. I also plan to drive the run course – Brendan doesn’t know all this yet – surprise, B!

Lots more driving!

Lots more driving!

Thankfully I don’t have to worry about anything but my own abilities – Rev3 has everything laid out perfectly in their athlete guide! I literally don’t have any questions on raceday logistics that aren’t answered in the guide they emailed to all participants. After reading every single sentence in the guide, I think I’m most excited to visit the expo; I’ve never been to a real triathlon expo. I’m also thankful that they offer a practice swim in the lake. AND I just found out they have course preview videos on their website, which include tips and tricks for the course! Check out what I’m up against here.) So far, I give an A++ to the Rev3 organization. OH and I get to wear temporary tattoos of my bib# on raceday instead of being written on with sharpies. It’s the little things, people!

I’m cautiously optimistic about the swim, now that I’ve tested out my wetsuit. (One thing – does anyone have advice on how to prevent your hair from getting caught in the velcro? Did I ask this already? I try and try to tuck all my hair away, but a little bit near my neck keeps getting stuck and it’s really painful!)

Can you find me?

Practicing floating. Obviously a very intense practice. Can you spot me?

The Rev3 folks announced on Facebook that the water temperature was tested yesterday at 66 degrees. People are commenting that that’s cold, but I feel like it’s not that bad? Am I crazy? The air temperature is supposed to get into the upper 70s or 80s with a chance of rain later in the afternoon. Let’s hope that rain holds off!

Anyway, last thoughts…

I receive daily quotes from Runner’s World, and thought the below from this week was fitting:

Screen Shot 2013-05-29 at 8.21.54 PM

Even if Sunday proves to be a rough day, I can at least take comfort in the fact that maybe, just maybe, I’ve still inspired a few people along the way.

And with that, my favorite motivational video:

1. May 29, 2013 / 10:05 pm

YOU ARE GOING TO DO AMAZING!!! So excited for you!!

And holy cow, you had a HUGE cross country team!!

• May 31, 2013 / 11:08 am

Thank you!! Yeah I guess we did have a pretty big team (we had about 20 guys too)! My school was pretty big though.

2. May 29, 2013 / 10:07 pm

Go Kara! I’ll be thinking of you from here and sending lots of adrenaline and positive vibes! Just remember your gear will be taken care of so you can just think swim, bike, run! Have fun and smile. :)

• May 31, 2013 / 11:08 am

Thank you SO much Kristi! I’ll remember that :)

3. May 29, 2013 / 11:46 pm

You are ready!!! I am so excited for you!!! Do you have a plan? A race plan? What you are going to do? What you are going to wear? What are you going to eat/take in for calories? NOW…don’t stress out…but it will calm your nerves a bit if you write it down!! I am glad you are doing some visualizing!! That totally helps too! Visualize yourself doing great even when it is tough! When you are at the race…in the race…only think of one leg at a time!! While you are swimming…think only of the swim…when you are biking..only think of the bike….and than when you are running…just keep visualizing the finish!! :) Don’t worry about times!! Just do it!! If you are lagging eat something!!!! It will probably make you feel better especially on the bike!!! GO TIME!!!!!!

• May 31, 2013 / 11:10 am

AHHHH I don’t have much of a plan, just have fun and take it easy on the bike I guess?! I do know what I plan to eat and drink…and I know the course for the most part…maybe I will try writing all that down!

I’ll definitely try and take it one leg at a time. Although, I do need to think about the run while I’m on the bike, right? AKA don’t go crazy on the bike and wear myself out?

THANK YOU for the fantastic advice, as always!!

• June 1, 2013 / 12:19 am

True!! Do not leave it all out on the bike!! :)
        Have a great race! I hope the weather is good!!

4. May 30, 2013 / 8:22 am

I love that Dean Karnazes quote. That’s why I run too… I feel like sometimes it’s more important to inspire other people and “carry on” our sport than always PR and win things, you know?

As far as the tri goes… you will do amazing. I mean, most people don’t attempt a tri- it’s so different from just running a race. And I spectated one a few weeks ago, to me the most inspirational people weren’t the people in the front but the ones who I saw that were clearly working their butts off to be wherever they were at that given moment. Love the visualization tips too- your coach was onto something!!

Good luck!

• May 31, 2013 / 11:13 am

Totally. Especially since I’ll probably never win anything, haha!! :)

Thanks for the positive words and for lifting my spirits. I always am inspired by the people who aren’t in the front too…not that the leaders aren’t working hard, but there’s just something about the “regular people” toward the back. Hopefully I inspire someone :)

5. May 30, 2013 / 9:03 am

GOOD LUCK!!!! I am so excited to hear about how it goes and have so much faith and confidence in your ability to push it hard and get it done. GO KARA!!!

• May 31, 2013 / 11:14 am

Thanks friend, I really appreciate that!! AHH!! :)