Fall Marathons

Despite the fact that I was only thinking happy thoughts, and that Mary Wittenberg actually tweeted me a personal “good luck!” after my girl Beth desperately tweeted her to let me in, I did not get into the NYC Marathon. I wonder if Mary was giggling mischeviously while she was wishing me well. That Mary. She’s so contrary. Or whatever.

I was bummed about that yesterday but I think I’m over it now. (That is, until marathon weekend in NYC. I’ll be crying in a corner somewhere.) After two full days of constantly checking things…NYRR.com and my inbox (which is now surprisingly clean), I’m ready for a break. (Still waiting for an update on the writing job, though!)

Not giving up on this just yet. I STILL BELIEVE.

Not giving up on this just yet. I STILL BELIEVE.

On to the running. This week’s speed workout was a tempo run, which I did, once again, on a treadmill. I feel like I’m cheating when I do important workouts on the ‘mill. When I’m on it, I just set the speed and go. (This cold spell better end soon, I swear to all that is holy.) I should be learning to manage my pace on my own though (AKA outdoors) right? Oh well. I guess you just gotta do what you can. Anyway, workout was:

1 mile warmup

3 miles at 9:03

1 mile cooldown

Here’s how I did:

Proof. In case you don't believe me.

Bam. Proof. In case you don’t believe me.

I’m feeling preeeeetttyy good about that. Right on point. (I guess I have the TM to thank for that. But at least I never flew off of it…?) Mile 1 felt easy enough, mile 2 was a little harder, mile 3 I was getting concerned, to be honest. But I did it. High fives all around. I hope I can continue crushing these important workouts over the next month and a half and toe the Brooklyn Half starting line fully confident.

So now, moving on to the big topic of the week. Fall marathons.

On my initial list:

Nike Women’s Marathon (California, October TBD)

Wineglass Marathon (New York, October 5)

Twin Cities Marathon (Minnesota, October 5)

Des Moines Marathon (Iowa, October 19)

Richmond Marathon (Virginia, November 15)

Philly Marathon (Pennsylvania, November 23)

Bonus: all of these are quite a bit cheaper than the NYC Marathon! Someone just tell me what to do. To be honest, I’m kind of waiting for the NFL schedule to come out in April. I know the Jets are playing Kansas City in KC so I’m 1,000% going to that game. Yep, basing my schedule around football. Don’t judge me.

Me on a camel in Kansas City. Totally relevant.

Me on a camel (llama?) in Kansas City. Totally relevant.

What’s your vote? Any others to add to the list?

1. March 28, 2014 / 5:35 pm

My vote is for Philly! =)

• March 28, 2014 / 6:09 pm

Thanks for voting! :) I ran the half a couple years ago and loved it!

2. March 28, 2014 / 8:11 pm

Would you be doing Nike Women’s with TNT? It’s a huge race for them, to the point that when I ran the half, I felt like one of the only people NOT running with TNT! (I should’ve worn purple…) You would definitely get a lot of TNT crowd support.

I’m actually not a huge fan of the Nike full course — at least, not as a PR course. I’ve only done the half officially, but the back half of the course is where I do all my long runs, so I know it pretty well. The first half is pretty but hilly and REALLY crowded and makes me ragey. The second half is flat but fairly lonely. You do get to run along the ocean for a good while, though, so it could be worse!

• April 1, 2014 / 12:32 am

No, just on my own! But that’s good to know…any course that could potentially make me ragey definitely makes me think twice, hahaha!

3. March 28, 2014 / 8:25 pm

Twin Cities is a GREAT race but very hard to PR on if that is your goal. It’s absolutely beautiful!

Wineglass is a great course, if the weather cooperates. It’s a little early on so there is a chance that it might be the last “hurrah” of hot weather.

I have heard Philly is awesome for PRs and weather (typically cool!).

• April 1, 2014 / 12:33 am

I do want to PR…hmm…good to know! I’ve heard it’s awesome though. Yeah Wineglass last year was SO humid!

4. Elizabeth
    March 31, 2014 / 12:25 am

Hudson Mohawk!! Close, cheap, and FAST!

• April 1, 2014 / 12:31 am

That one looks awesome! But I have to go to a friend’s wedding that day!

5. Lisaj
    March 31, 2014 / 6:31 pm

Come do the Twin Cities. Was my first marathon last year. Such a nice course. Although I have wanted to do Wineglass too. Maybe next year. So many to choose. Good luck! :)

• April 1, 2014 / 12:34 am

Oooh awesome! Definitely at the top of my list. Is that where you live?

There are way too many great choices :)

6. April 13, 2014 / 7:12 pm

Hey! Long time friend! I didn’t even think you were blogging anymore! I forgot that you changed your server!! Anywho!!!
    I wouldn’t do the Nike full…I have done the half a couple times and that is where all the good sights are. I have heard the full is boring! I want to do Twin Cities and Philly!!
    I think that its great that you are revolving your races around football…why the hell not!! :)

• April 14, 2014 / 9:02 pm

Oh noooo! That makes me sad. I’m still here :) Yeah a couple people have told me to not do the Nike full. Duly noted! Come do Twin Cities with me!