Goals for October

welcome to fall

Do you like my fancy graphic? I took the pumpkin picture last year and just stumbled on it again. Naturally I decided to create a “welcome to fall” picture because what else do you do with a picture of pumpkins? Enjoy.

Umm anyway. Back to what I planned to write about.

My favorite season used to be summer. I’d get a break from school and more time to relax, rejuvenate, lay in the sun, and bask in the knowledge that winter was far, far away. And that my birthday was very, very close. But over the past few years, I’ve switched my favorite to fall. (Can I do that?) I know, stereotypical. Make fun of me all you want, but I love the crisp air and football and having the windows open and apple-picking and autumn-y smelling candles. It makes me feel cozy and comfortable and happy. And it’s not too cold outside.

And then we moved to freaking California and because the calendar says October, I go outside in sweatshirts every morning, thinking that maybe just maybe it’s not 80 degrees outside. (Spoiler alert: It’s always 80 degrees.)

manhattan beach

Although this ain’t so bad in October either.

Still, this time of year always feels like a natural turning point for reevaluating what I want to accomplish before the end of the year. But right now I’m having a hard time staying focused. Since I’m still job searching in my new city, (HELLO SOMEONE HIRE ME PLEASE AND THANK YOU) I’ve been doing all those things I always wanted to spend time doing but never really did when I was working (and commuting) in NYC. On top of job searching, networking, and really trying to figure out where I want my career to go (no big thang, right), I’m doing fun-for-me things like studying for the ACSM personal training exam, focusing on this lil’ blog, catching up on other blogs, a little bit of freelance writing, actually cooking meals (gasp!) and just reading in general. And getting in much much better workouts. Oh and that whole wedding planning thing. I have so many people to Skype with. (It’s ridiculously hard to plan a wedding from 3,000 miles away, just FYI.) But since I feel like I have SO MUCH free time (I know some of you hate me right now) I keep pushing important things off “for later”.  In attempts to make myself stop that, I bring you:

goals(AKA I’m typing this out so you all hold me accountable)

• My never-before-mentioned goal for September was “24 days of real exercise“, and I’m going to go with that again. “Real” meaning anything that challenges me in some way and gets me sweating. I made it 23 days in Sept. which I’m happy with. I’m proud of myself for having a good mix of exercises: strength, high intensity training, yoga, running, and cycling all made weekly appearances on my calendar. Let’s do that again.
margaritas

Still found time for margaritas.

happy hour

Maybe someday we’ll actually ask someone to take a picture of us together.

• Follow an actual running schedule. I have a plan from Runner’s World SmartCoach which, I might add, is what I was following when I PRd in the half! I put in some info and it spit out a plan that optimistically has me running a 1:56 half in about 12 weeks. Here’s hoping.
  • Find a local half marathon to run in December. See above.
  • Come up with a list of questions to ask speakers/athletes at the espnW Summit I’m attending next week. And then write an amazing article about it. (!!!!!!!!) I’ll be covering the event for FitFluential and I could not be more thrilled. This is something I’ve only dreamed of attending. Not only do I love fitness and writing, I also have a B.S. in Sports Management, a serious penchant for sports business, and am a huge advocate for women in sports. I’m very much looking forward to combining all my passions for this project. Just getting this opportunity has, in a way, catapulted me back into the motivated, hard-working person I know I am. (Unemployment likes to play tricks on your mind, let me tell you.) I feel like I did when I was a junior in college and was, with the encouragement of my Dad, sending my resume to every single person I knew. And every person they knew. And researching and writing and doing everything possible to ensure I reached my goal of getting an internship in professional sports. (I did!)  It’s so obvious to me that my calling in life has something to do with sports, business, fitness, and empowering others to find their passion. How to combine that? I don’t know. But just this one opportunity has restored my energy and excitement. I’m about as excited as Emily was to go to Paris in The Devil Wears Prada. (Not that I’ve watched that movie 4 times in the past week or anything.)
the devil wears prada emily charlton gif

I can’t stop laughing at this.

• Catch up on our wedding timeline. We’re 8 months out and according to our fancy The Knot Wedding Planner, we need to book our vendors, like, now. This month I want to finally Skype with and hopefully book our DJ, photographer, and florist. (Do we need a florist or can I do this myself? Someone help me.) Finding time to video chat (with a three hour time difference, mind you) has proven to be a challenge. We also have a few tent quotes to finalize. On that note, why are tents so expensive?
  • Get the rest of the addresses we need and send out all our save the dates. I have most of them ready, but I still need some addresses. (Cough cough Brendan get your friends’ addresses cough cough.)
wedding stamps

Got the stamps. We’re really making moves here.

I think that’s enough. That was a lot of (probably boring) info, so I’ll leave you with a gorgeous, #nofilter California sunset.

marina del rey sunset

Our view Saturday night.

What’s your favorite season? Do you have any October goals? Spill ’em! (I mean…if you want.)

1. October 2, 2014 / 6:03 am

Great goals! There’s a New Years half marathon in Hollywood…. you get a pretty sweet medal 😉

• October 2, 2014 / 6:30 pm

That’s so awesome! I’m intrigued. Are you running it?

2. October 2, 2014 / 12:32 pm

I love Fall too~ and I love your graphic as well! Like you my favorite season was summer as a kid because I didn’t have school. But honestly, it is so hot in SC in the summer that when I started running and started loving football, I started to like Fall more because of running and football :).

Good luck with your goals! I think training plans help, not so much because the workouts on the plan are essential but because they keep you on track and working out consistently. When I follow one, even if I’m not following every workout to the tee (a lot of times I add in workouts… LOL), it really helps just because there’s a schedule there and I’m not waking up and just doing what I want.

Have fun covering the ESPNW summit! Maybe you will find a good career opportunity from it too… networking, networking, networking ;).

• October 2, 2014 / 6:32 pm

Running in the fall is so great! I struggle in the heat so that’s been a big adjustment here. I totally agree about the training plan – it will keep me on track and give me a daily goal, which is nice! I need that boost of motivation sometimes :)

And YES to networking! So key :)

3. October 2, 2014 / 2:07 pm

I love fall!
    If you want to get real flowers, I’d say go with a florist. I think it’s better to not have to worry about things (then again, I am bad at doing things myself, so I hired a florist lol). Yay 8 months until your wedding!!!!
    California is gorgeous. I’ll be in LA in a few months for work, hopefully we can meet up!!

• October 2, 2014 / 6:34 pm

See everyone says something different! Some people are like, YES get a florist so you don’t have to deal with it, and others tell me it’s totally doable on your own. I’m so lost. Haha! I appreciate the feedback though. I’m not sure I’m good enough to do it on my own.

Yay, let me know when you’re in LA! Maybe we can go on a run? I’ve been scoping out some good places :)

4. Annie
    October 2, 2014 / 2:13 pm

I need some October goals. Right now I have a list of “things I want to do with my life, but I can’t because I’m paralyzed with fear and indecision.” If you ever want to talk about new-city-new-life-what-is-happening-ahhhhhh thoughts — I’m your gal!

Have so much fun at ESPNW! I applied for an internship with them in college … clearly was denied haha.

• October 2, 2014 / 6:37 pm

UMM YES that sounds like my life. That’s why I wrote these out- in attempts to focus my thoughts. It’s not working quite yet, haha. Let’s chat soon!

5. October 2, 2014 / 2:41 pm

I love summer and spring. But the older I get, Fall grows on me.
    Congrats on getting the FitFluential ESPNW!!!!

• October 2, 2014 / 6:46 pm

Thank you so much! Yeah the older I get, the more I love fall. I pretty much love all the seasons except winter. I can handle it until Christmas, but after that I’m just bitter about it, haha. Although I guess I don’t have to worry about that now!

6. Liz
    October 2, 2014 / 3:58 pm

I didn’t have a florist! It depends on how fancy you want your flowers, but I went to Costco.com and bought genera daisies for $125. They were delivered in perfect condition the day before and after the rehearsal dinner at my parent’s, we all cut stems and put them in mason jars and three of the girls made bouquets. WAY cheaper than having them professionally done. There was no way I was spending money on a florist!

• Liz
      October 2, 2014 / 3:58 pm

Gerbera daisies. Dang autocorrect.

• October 2, 2014 / 8:12 pm

Ohh that sounds simple enough! Did it stress you out? Did you put them on every table? That’s our plan so I’m just worried about how much time it will take! I’m definitely going to research this though. Thank you!

7. October 3, 2014 / 5:17 am

Great goals!! You can’t get a job you have too much to do!! :)
    But good luck with the job searching and wedding planning!!
    October goals: continue with my NYC training. Very excited but nervous!! #31days