Congratulations to everyone who participated in the NYC Marathon! (Tweet me your race recaps pretty please!) I woke up at 6AM to watch the coverage on TV and spent the majority of my day stalking people via the app. Did you guys notice the little map option? Was that part of the app last year? You can track these little dots on the course map that represent your friends along the course. I LOVE THAT.
The thing I love most about this race is that so many people get inspired to run, especially in NYC. It’s hard to avoid the course and all the build up in the weeks leading up to it…and standing there watching all these different people carrying out their dreams is empowering. I remember spectating the NYC Marathon for the first time, standing at the 26 mile mark, saying to myself…”someday I’ll run this race”. It’s so powerful and it reminds me of my most favorite quote: “By doing what you love, you inspire and awaken the hearts of others.”
ANYWHO…thanks to my parents who were there to watch me (sorry guys) – even though I didn’t get to run, they still went and sent me photos, including some awesome selfies Love you two so much!
So, I figured I would update you all on my life lately. I’m stealing an idea from Carla Birnberg (whose writing I absolutely adore) and am titling this one: “If we were having coffee…”
If we were having coffee, I’d tell you:
- I was in New York a couple weeks ago for my brother-in-law’s wedding! We had the best time and I’m absolutely thrilled to have another sister. Brendan even gave a hilarious and sweet speech and everyone was all “Brendan, you’re so funny! That was great! You’re the star of the show!” and I was like, “I’m with him! I’m his wife! I need attention because I’m jealous I’m not the bride!”. It was a super quick trip (Friday-Sunday) but I felt extremely happy to be surrounded by so many people I love and in such a gorgeous place. (We stayed at “The Castle” in Tarrytown, New York. A CASTLE.) And to see our best friends and their new baby girl – who was only about 2 weeks old at our wedding. And to dance my booty off. And to experience fall.
- Side note, while we were in New York we went to this thing called “The Blaze” where they had an incredible amount of pumpkins all lit up and carved and designed to look like things and it was the most amazing spectacle. (<—spectacle is such a fun word.) Has anyone ever been to this? You must go next year if not!
- Speaking of weddings, this past weekend my other brother-in-law and his girlfriend got engaged! They’ve been dating just about as long as Brendan and I have been together and I’m so thrilled we have another marriage on the horizon (and I get another sister!). I love love and I love them. I was waiting anxiously all weekend for the call and when they finally let us know she said yes, I sat on the couch and cried my eyes out with happiness.
Are you still with me? How’s that coffee tasting? I usually take, like, 8 hours to finish one cup so I’m probably still on the first sip.
- I signed up for an 8-week online course that teaches people to start their own online business. I chose this course because it first helps you figure out WHAT your business should be. I’ve been such a “wantreprenuer” for the past few years and I’m SICK OF IT, I TELL YOU! I’ve been pushed to my limit and am ready to take action…I just never found the right idea. This course teaches you how to figure out the value you can bring to the world (yes, THE WORLD. WATCH OUT.) I’ve been asking everyone I know “what am I good at?” but still don’t know quite yet what I have to offer. I’m just glad to be on brighter path…one that doesn’t involve “just waiting for an idea to come to me.” Stay tuned.
- I probably should have modified my diet during my rest period. I feel chubbier and BLAH. Oh well. YOLO.
- On that note, I’m trying to figure out what’s best for me. When I didn’t do a lot of high intensity exercise, I didn’t notice any changes in strength or in my weight. When I did a lot of it, I noticed some tiny changes, but eventually burned myself out. What’s the right “amount” for me? DO YOU KNOW?! TELL ME.
- It’s 60 degrees here in the South Bay of LA today and I’ve seen no less than 6 puffy coats. (Insert side-eye emoji.) It finally feels like fall though and I’m ready to free all my sweatshirts and boots from their confinement at the bottom of my closet.
- I heard the song Seven Devils by Florence + The Machine on the season finale of Revenge (SEASON 1, yes I started last week and already finished it, did you read the part about how I did nothing last week?) and immediately added it to my running playlist. It makes me feel really badass for whatever reason. (And if you know some, share more of those songs because my pace went up for that mile by A FULL MINUTE). And yes, I’m running more often again, but don’t say it out loud because I don’t want to scare my health away.
Your turn! What would you tell me on our coffee date?! Fill me in!