Rev3 Quassy Half Rev Race Recap

I am so excited to write this post.

I think the smile on my face says it all.

I think the smile on my face says it all. The heel striking also says a lot, but we’ll just disregard that for now.

I had the best time at Rev3 Quassy this weekend. And by “best time”, I mean in the “enjoyable experience” kind of way. Not the “time on the clock” way…because let’s face it, the winning pro woman (Heather Wurtele) completed the ENTIRE COURSE in 4:22:18….which is 23 seconds faster than my bike time alone. That is just so funny to me…unfathomable! I’m literally laughing out loud thinking about it.

So, where do I even start?!

I woke up at 4:40AM, four years TO THE DAY of my very first marathon. (Ironic, right?) Everything was already meticulously packed. I had a couple “absolutely must bring” bags, one “bringing this stuff just in case something terrible unexpected happens” bag, and then a bunch of water bottles that I couldn’t put in bags.  So I grabbed my millions of items, made a cup of coffee, and off Brendan and I went. (Thank goodness he was there because there’s no way I could carry everything myself! My tip: save yourself the juggling and bring a nice person willing to carry all your stuff. Promise to buy them dinner later.)

We had a 35 minute drive in which Brendan calmed my nerves by saying “YOU DID THIS TO YOURSELF!”…in a loving way of course. We parked easily and walked into transition. Thankfully my spot was right along the edge so Brendan was able to hang there and chat with me. (I finally got to meet the lovely Maggie too!) After a short while, it was time to head down to the beach.

My Team In Training teammates and I! SO SO glad they were there too.

My Team In Training teammates and I! So glad they were there too. 

We did a short practice swim – literally just a couple minutes out and back. It was so nice that the race organizers allowed that – they had a special section roped off simply for warming up. (In the athlete meeting on Saturday they talked about their safe swimming initiative…they focus on educating athletes, and with that stress the importance of getting your heart rate up a bit before starting the race and feeling comfortable in the water…hence the warm up swim.)

So, after waiting impatiently through about 40 minutes of waves, mine was finally called. There I was on the beach, lingering at the back of the pack like an introvert at a high school prom.

And off we go!

Off we go!

I felt fine in the water…I brushed up against people a few times and felt hands on my feet, but no kicks or punches thankfully. To pass the time I counted. I tried to count to 9 (I breathe every 3 strokes) and then sight the buoys to make sure I was on the right path. I kept veering to the left and having to correct myself. Especially after we turned and started heading back toward the beach…right into the sun. I couldn’t see ANYTHING.  I kept having to stop my stride to squint into the sun, and again, correct myself from going too far left. I could have been swimming to the opposite shore and would have had no idea. I just looked for little splashes in front of me and was searching for the kayakers; it was all I could do. I started getting annoyed when the fast swimmers from the wave behind me started passing by. I had absolutely no idea how long I’d been out there and started wondering…what if I don’t make the 70 minute cutoff?! Alas, I was fine. Once my hands brushed the sand three times I stood up and did a wobbly jog into transition. Brendan and one of my coaches were there screaming that I did awesome, so that made me super happy!

Swim Time; 1.2 miles: 44:37 (2:19/100m)

Brendan captured my every move. He kept saying "it's for the blog!" I'll thank him for you guys.

Brendan captured my every move. He kept saying “it’s for the blog!” I’ll thank him for you guys.

My transition was uneventful, thankfully. I wasn’t in a hurry but maybe I should have been…

Swim to Bike Transition: 4:50

I owe everything about this 56 mile ride to a positive attitude. I got on the bike ready to dominate the hills of Quassy like they dominated me last time. I was feeling great. It was gorgeous outside. I knew the hills were coming and just took it easy…I didn’t push. This wasn’t my goal race and I wanted to be fresh for the run. I reminded myself of something I’ve heard more than once in reference to pacing yourself on the bike: “Average bike ride=great run. Great bike=walk.” More than once I caught myself thinking…”THIS IS AWESOME!!” (Who am I?!) Especially on some of those downhills…I wanted to yell and laugh and scream out loud about how much fun I was having (I didn’t though, don’t worry). I got up to 35 MPH!

I got passed by a lot of people, but it didn’t phase me this time. Since I had completed the course before, I knew there were NO flats and that I wanted to take it slow. One thing I noticed: almost everyone I came in contact with mentioned the “fun” they were having on the bike course. Basically every comment was in reference to the hills being fun; either sarcastic in nature, as in “that was fun” (read: that uphill sucked) or “that was fun” (read: that downhill was sick!)


The key for me on this bike course (the second time around) was nutrition. I stayed on top of it. It was hot out so I made sure to hydrate constantly…I was taking a sip of water or Gatorade every 5 minutes. Throughout the ride I had two full bottles of Gatorade and three full water bottles, along with a couple gels and a whole sleeve of shot blocks. I couldn’t get myself to finish the powerbar I brought (although I did eat most of it). Also, I perfected the art of putting sunscreen on while riding. Minus the very back of my shoulders, because who can reach there?! (I was super paranoid about getting sunburnt and thankfully I came out of the day ranking “still pale” on the scale of tan-ness (minus a tiny spot on my back.) Win!

Up until mile 51 I was smiling ear to ear and thrilled with how strong I was feeling. But then the ridiculous last 5 miles happened. Just when you get a taste of being done (only 5 miles left, I can do this in my sleep!) you find yourself in your tiniest gear, trudging along as the people already on the run fly downhill. But my “on top of the world” feeling returned as I crossed the dismount line. The bike, the scariest part for me, was done!

Exact words to B: "OMG I have to go run a half marathon now."

“I have to go run a half marathon now?!”

Looking back now, I’m excited to see some of the splits on my Garmin; I had more than a few full miles at 25MPH and a ton over 17MPH. I finally learned to push on the downhills. The uphills just slowed me down so much; I was almost afraid to push too hard. (I would really like to see what I could do on a flatter course!) I’m just so glad I finished with a smile on my face.

Bike Time; 56 miles: 4:22:43 (13 mph average)

I didn’t even try to run into or out of transition. I needed a minute to cool down and prepare myself. And sunscreen myself up. Which Brendan did for me. What a gem, he is!

Bike to Run Transition: 5:52

Literally 30 seconds into the run, I threw my Gatorade at Brendan and said "TAKE THIS IT'S TOO HEAVY TO HOLD". Yes, Gatorade was heavy to me.

Literally 30 seconds into the run, I threw my Gatorade at Brendan and said “TAKE THIS IT’S WAY TOO HEAVY TO HOLD”. Yes, Gatorade was heavy to me.

I ran the first mile in 10:30. I grabbed some pretzels at the first aid station and carried them with me in a little cup for a mile. I ate them so slowly…it was so hard to eat. I’d chew, and then hold it in my mouth. Yes, that sounds so disgusting, but I just couldn’t bring myself to swallow. I had to give myself a pep talk…”you need the salt! Eat!” It was just so hot.

I kept shuffling (semi-deliriously) through until mile 4 or so, when the big hills came. Now I know why everyone calls the first huge hill the “dirt hill of death”. It was a mile + long, winding dirt road. Miserable. I walked along with everyone else. My pace dropped significantly…like 14 minute per mile pace. I didn’t want to walk, but there were a couple times that I thought if I didn’t, I’d make my fogginess worse and probably pass out. So again, I took it easy and reminded myself that this wasn’t my goal race and I was just out there to have fun. By mile 9 I started feeling fantastic and by 10 my pace was back down to 10:19. And then…my Garmin died!! It lasted a lot longer than I thought, but I was bummed that it ran out of battery right as I was picking up the speed.

I ran the last 5 miles without stopping (except at the aid stations) and felt incredible. Absolutely incredible. I don’t know where it came from – I’m sure it was partly due to the long downhill, but I think it was also because I got into a groove mixing Gatorade and water, and I stopped trying to force gels down. I started putting ice on my back at every aid station. (I need to add – the volunteers were simply amazing. They were so helpful and cheerful. I kept apologizing for being dirty and gross every time they threw ice down my back, ha! But they smiled and congratulated me every single time.)

So, I felt like a runner again. I was passing a lot of people, and very few people passed me. I was finally in my favorite triathlon leg! One man told me I was his inspiration to keep running instead of walking. At mile 12, the Tri Life group at the aid station congratulated me and commented on how happy I looked. After seeing my shorts and hat, they said “we love Team In Training!” which made me smile even bigger.

At 12.5, a lady cheering shouted “Wow, fresh legs! Keep it up, you look so strong!” and that made my day. I felt strong and knew I was definitely going to finish 70.3 miles. Looking at my results, it shows that I was in 909th place when I started the run and 884th when I finished. Either I’m really dumb and am missing something, or that means I passed about 25 people…which I felt like I did. By no means did I run a fast half marathon, but I’m so happy that I got that second wind and drilled it home!

The last 1/2 mile was a big uphill – how rude! But once I got over the top I could hear the people at the finish line. I said to the guy next to me, “point one miles, we could do this in our sleep!” to which he just sort of grunted. Oh well. I flew on by, through the chute, and saw Brendan and his family cheering (wearing Iowa shirts, might I add)!

Weeee!!! Finished!

Weeee!!! Finished!

The BEST THING EVER was the ice cold wet towel they draped over my shoulders at the finish. It felt soooo good! Plus it helped wash away the sticky sunscreen and dirt all over me, which was a plus more so for my cheer squad I’m sure. Then they gave me my awesome medal, a finisher t-shirt, water, and sent me on my way to the free athlete’s “buffet” to get a hot meal. I grabbed a cheeseburger which I couldn’t eat and promptly handed over to Brendan. (It looked delicious though!)

Run Time; 13.1 miles: 2:42 (12:22/mile)

I know I could definitely improve on this time in future 70.3 distance races. Need to work on those hills!

Is this not the coolest medal ever?!

Is this not the coolest medal ever?!

Official Finish Time: 8:00:11

Me & my loving support crew!

Me & my loving support crew! Thank you for being there for me (and carrying everything!)

Sooooo not even close to what I was hoping for (closer to 7 hours) but hey, I FEEL FANTASTIC and that’s all that matters, right?! This was a tough, tough course (according to evvvvvveryone, not just me, I swear)! My goal race is two months away and even if I keep the same easy pace for Lake Placid, I’d still finish under the cutoff time of 17 hours.

My day ended with a phone call to my excited parents in Iowa recapping the race, the best shower in the history of showers, a delicious dinner with Brendan’s family (ice cream cake included!) and an early bedtime after driving back to NJ. Perfect.

Strangely enough, the part of me that’s most sore is the spot on my ankle where I wore the timing chip. Go figure! Other than that, I’m not very sore today, one day post-race. Also, random, but I couldn’t take a deep breath during the run or for a few hours after the race without coughing. I guess because I was breathing so quickly/shallowly for so long? Weird! All good now though.

Now, to end the longest post in the history of blogging, I just have to say that I am officially in love with Rev3. What a phenomenal race experience from start to finish. I’m already hooked and looking for another one I can do!  Who’s in? I mean, come on. They give you FREE finisher photos! So nice.

You're telling me I have to do that twice in Lake Placid?

You’re telling me I have to do that twice in Lake Placid?


Thanks to each and every one of you for the well-wishes, the support, and for always believing in me. I honestly couldn’t have done it without the positivity and love you sent my way. Every message made me smile and helped boost my confidence. If I could send you all a puppy and a bouquet of flowers I would. THANK YOU. 

I’m a writer currently living in New Jersey and blogging about running, fitness, wellness, and motivation. I want every reader to laugh and feel empowered, balanced, and motivated! Subscribe by email to get 1-2 newsletters a month with post updates, my favorite articles, running playlists and more!


  1. June 4, 2013 / 12:23 am

    So Awesome!! What a great re-cap!! What a great race you had! You stayed positive and hydrated!! When I was getting ready to go on my ride yesterday I checked your results and saw that you finished the swim/bike…so I knew you would finish because running is your strength!!! Good work!!

    • June 4, 2013 / 8:18 pm

      Awww thanks for checking in on me and for believing in me!! :) I appreciate all your help the past few months!!

  2. June 4, 2013 / 2:12 am

    Yay! I can feel how happy you are through the way you wrote this recap. So glad it went well for you!

    • June 4, 2013 / 8:18 pm

      I am SO happy :) thank you!!

  3. June 4, 2013 / 8:57 am

    Loved this SO SO much!!! So excited for you and proud of you! To think of how far you’ve come in such a short time is nothing short of phenomenal. GO KARA!! :)

    • June 4, 2013 / 8:19 pm

      You are so sweet. Anyone can do it as long as they are motivated and truly WANT to do it :) Thank you!

  4. June 4, 2013 / 10:00 am

    I’m SO SO SO PROUD OF YOU! Can you teach me how to ride my bike? Maybe this weekend?

    • June 4, 2013 / 8:19 pm

      Thank you my love!! Yes!

  5. June 4, 2013 / 11:55 am

    Wow congrats! It’s awesome how confidence can strike when you need it most. I’m so happy for you!

    • June 4, 2013 / 8:19 pm

      It’s true! A positive attitude works wonders :) Thank you very much!

  6. June 4, 2013 / 2:15 pm

    Yay!!! So happy and proud of you. This is an amazing accomplishment. I am glad you had a great experience. woohoo Kara!

    • June 4, 2013 / 8:20 pm

      Thanks girl!!

  7. Mom & Dad
    June 4, 2013 / 4:04 pm

    We’re so proud of you!!
    Mom and Dad

    • June 4, 2013 / 8:20 pm

      Love you :)

  8. June 4, 2013 / 4:44 pm

    Yay! Congrats, Kara! You can be really pround. I loved reading the recap and can’t wait reading the recap for IMLP- because you will be doing awesome!

    • June 4, 2013 / 8:20 pm

      So glad you liked it, thank you Nina! I appreciate you having so much faith in me!

  9. June 4, 2013 / 5:07 pm

    That’s amazing! Congrats! That weather would have done me in! Cold towel at the finish line? Genius!

    • June 4, 2013 / 8:21 pm

      I KNOW! Nothing short of genius. Such a game-changer :)

      Thank you!

  10. June 4, 2013 / 9:48 pm

    Well done Kara! Great job on your first tri! It was a brutal day out there, and you persevered. I only wish I had seen you out there!

    Now to my most important question – did you unclip before the bike dismount line? 😉

    • June 14, 2013 / 8:12 am

      Thank you! So sad I missed you, but I really appreciate the overwhelming support along the way. You inspire me!!

      And yes…I did! Almost forgot, but at the last minute I was like “OMG DON’T FORGET TO UNCLIP!” I repeated that to myself over and over, haha.

  11. Kellen
    June 4, 2013 / 9:59 pm

    It was such a pleasure seeing you finish this, what an accomplishment!! I loved reading the recap so I could really understand what you went through. So proud of you and can’t wait for your SUCCESSFUL finish in Lake Placid. GO WEIGE GO!

    • June 14, 2013 / 8:10 am

      You found me!! Haha, thank you Kellen! It was so wonderful to see you all there and even just knowing you guys were at the finish helped me get through it. You’re the best!

  12. June 5, 2013 / 10:04 am

    Congrats on a job well done! You continue to be a source of motivation for me. I have my first Tri in September and training starts for me soon. Keep up the great work!

    • June 14, 2013 / 8:08 am

      Thank you so much!! Best of luck with training…can’t wait to hear about it!

  13. June 5, 2013 / 10:07 am

    Congrats on a job well done! You continue to be a source of motivation for me. I have my first Tri in September and my training starts soon. Keep up the great work!

  14. June 6, 2013 / 10:12 am

    Congratulations that is amazing!!! That is a super hard course – you should be so proud of yourself.

    • June 14, 2013 / 8:09 am

      Thank you so much for all the support and tips along the way!! :)

  15. June 6, 2013 / 12:24 pm

    You are AMAZING KARA!!! I love that you were shouting motivation to the guy next to you towards the end Ragnar style haha. Congratulations on enjoying the race and I cannot wait for your next big race tackle!!! xoxoxo

    • June 14, 2013 / 8:16 am

      I bring my Ragnar skillz with me to every race, haha. THANK YOU for always being a huge source of motivation to me. You are so inspiring!

      PS it must have been the TRX classes :)

  16. June 11, 2013 / 12:14 pm

    Late to the party but that is awesome Kara! I loved reading your recap…very inspiring. I’d love to do a 70.3 some day! :)

    • June 14, 2013 / 8:16 am

      Thank you!! DO IT!!!!

  17. Beth @RxBethOnTheRun
    June 18, 2013 / 1:48 pm

    I’m beyond words proud of you! This is such an amazing recap. I never doubted you would do it! Congratulations times a million. You are such an inspiration!

    • August 8, 2013 / 10:25 am

      Thank you!!