I’ve been feeling really great about my workouts lately! I started setting little mileage goals for myself because I realized I’d been doing a lot of strength training and shorter bursts of faster running, but not putting enough miles on at one time. I decided I really need to lay the foundation for marathon training, so here we are.
My goal for January is 50 miles, which would be about 13 miles per week. I know it seems measly for some people but I wanted to set a small, attainable goal and go up from there safely. I haven’t been running longer than 6 miles at a time over the past month so I really need to boost my long runs. That’s the plan for this weekend. But again, I’m trying to do it safely instead of just going out for a 10 miler and hurting myself, which I’ve definitely been known to do. Anywayyyyy I’m at 41 miles for the month and have 8 on the schedule for tomorrow, so I’ll definitely crush the 50. Yay me.
Some of my January highlights:
- My first run of 2015 = 6.01 (had to include the .01) miles in 56:00 for a 9:19/mi pace. I love starting the new year with a run and I felt great!
- I always sprinkle in slower, easy runs throughout each week but this past week I’ve been focusing on running faster in my longer runs. I also found a place near me called Burn 60 that’s similar to Barry’s Bootcamp in that it’s longer, faster running intervals combined with strength. I LOVE IT. Plus the neighborhood it’s in looks like all the cute little New Jersey towns I miss so much. And there’s FREE PARKING YAYYYY.
- I was super happy about this run this week, too. 9:07/mi average! Good to know I am kinda sorta still on track for another sub-2.
- I’m loving my workouts at The Studio MDR, a pilates reformer class. THEY ARE SO HARD. This is one of those classes that actually I’m actually fearful for while I’m waiting for it to start. It’s very challenging but each class gets better and better. Last week I was feeling a little defeated but went on a 3 mile run immediately after class and felt so strong. When I started the run I was sure I’d struggle the whole way, but it ended up lifting my spirits and boosting my confidence.
- This is an anti-highlight but had to share. I tried an aerial yoga class and got SO SICK. I should have known that flying around in the air on a piece of fabric would make me nauseas, seeing as I can’t even ride in the back of a car without getting sick or fly on an airplane without taking Dramamine that costs like $15 at the airport. The instructor actually gave me ginger to help but I still drove home in a daze. Needless to say, I hated it and won’t be going back. This is your warning (if you’re like me and are sensitive to movement like this)!
Soooo there’s my random and scattered recap of January.
Do you love or hate reading about other people’s workouts? (I love it – it’s motivating for me!)