Not everybody was as lucky as I was this week. There are way too many people in New York and New Jersey (among other places) who have lost EVERYTHING. It will take years to rebuild. It’s so heartbreaking. I feel an overwhelming desire to do whatever I can to help. I’ve collected some clothes and am trying to find somewhere to donate food and time. I just keep hearing that they need more money – which I don’t have much of! So, this is what Lora and I came up with to do our own little part…
Lora, who blogs over at Crazy Running Girl and lives in Brooklyn, and I want to help people in need in some way. Since we are somewhat useless right now with lack of public transit, we decided to follow our passion – running – to create a fun way for people to help.
And that’s how we came up with the Virtual Race for Hurricane Sandy Recovery, with proceeds benefiting the Red Cross to help disaster recovery efforts on the East Coast. (Many, many thanks to Lora who created the fundraising page and organized pretty much everything!)
How to participate
- Run a race of any distance during the month of November. There are TONS of fun holiday races this time of year so grab a friend (or two!) and sign up.
- Register for the Virtual Race for Hurricane Sandy here.
- Pledge your donation (a minimum donation of $10 requested) here. ALL PROCEEDS will be donated to the Red Cross.
- Run your race and tell us how you did! Make sure to send us pictures!
- Then…you can win prizes!
Why you should participate
- Help those in need by doing something that you love.
- We will have AWESOME prizes from some of your favorite companies… just by participating, you will have the chance to win some of these. You don’t want to miss out.
- Did we mention that you’ll be helping those in need?
- Extra motivation to train hard this holiday season (that way, you won’t feel too bad when you sign up for one… or three… cookie exchanges).
- You’ll also help those in need.
- There will be some awesome virtual swag… like a badge for you if you blog and a special bib that you can wear during your race to show your support.
- Register for the Virtual Race for Hurricane Sandy Recovery HERE.
- You can join anytime until November 30. You must run your race by November 30 to be eligible for prizes and virtual swag bag goodies. We will announce prizes as we move forward!
- Minimum donation is $10, you can donate more if you would like!
- ALL PROCEEDS will be donated to the Red Cross. Let’s see how far we can run and how much we can raise!
Questions? Let us know!